Cost of Open Heart Surgery India 2024 - Types & Success RateBy Okbima 18 Jan 2024
The cost of open heart surgery in India can vary depending on the type of open heart surgery, age, location, and the surgeon's experience. However, the financial aspect of this surgery can be a significant concern for many patients and their families.
What is Open Heart Surgery?
Open-heart surgery is a medical procedure in which a patient's chest is surgically opened, and the heart is accessed for repair or treatment. This extensive intervention is typically performed to address cardiovascular conditions like coronary artery disease, heart valve issues, or congenital heart defects.
During the procedure, the patient is connected to a heart-lung machine to temporarily take over the heart's function, allowing the surgeon to work on a motionless and bloodless heart. Surgeons may perform various techniques, such as bypass grafts or valve replacements, to restore normal cardiac function.
How Much Does the Cost of Open Heart Surgery?
The cost of open heart surgery typically falls between 1.50 lakhs to 5 lakhs. Specifically, the cost of CABG procedures is approximately 2.75 lakhs, while implanting medical devices can reach up to 3 lakhs. Additional costs such as pre-surgery tests, post-operative care, and hospital stay may contribute to the overall expenses.
Success Rate of Open Heart Surgery
The success rate of open heart surgery depends on the type of surgery. For Coronary artery bypass grafting, the success rate is 95%. For Heart valve replacement or repair, the success rate is 90%.
Success rates for common types of open-heart surgery:
• Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG): The success rate for CABG is very high, with over 95% of patients surviving the surgery and experiencing significant improvement in their symptoms.
• Heart valve replacement or repair: The success rate for heart valve surgery is also very high, with over 90% of patients surviving the surgery and experiencing improvement in their heart function.
• Congenital heart defect repair: The success rate for congenital heart defect repair varies depending on the specific defect, but it is generally high, with over 85% of patients surviving the surgery and experiencing significant improvement in their heart function.
Death Rate of Open Heart Surgery
Open heart surgery has impressive success rates and steadily declining mortality rates. Instead of focusing on death rates, it's more informative to discuss survival rates, which shows a much brighter picture.
• Overall survival rate: One year after open-heart surgery, the survival rate is around 96-97%, highlighting the effectiveness of these procedures.
• Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG): Over 95% of patients survive CABG and experience significant symptom improvement.
• Heart valve replacement/repair: The success rate also surpasses 90%, with patients experiencing improved heart function.
• Congenital heart defect repair: Depending on the complexity of the defect, the survival rate exceeds 85%, with most patients experiencing notable improvement.
Types of Open Heart Surgeries in India
In India, various types of open-heart surgeries are performed to address different cardiac conditions. Some common types of open-heart surgeries in India include Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, Valve Replacement or Repair, and many more.
• Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG): This surgery is performed to bypass blocked or narrowed coronary arteries, improving blood flow to the heart muscle.
• Valve Replacement or Repair: Surgery to repair or replace heart valves damaged by conditions such as stenosis or regurgitation.
• Aneurysm Repair: Surgical correction of a weakened and bulging area in a blood vessel (aneurysm) in the heart.
• Heart Transplant: In cases of severe heart failure, a damaged heart may be replaced with a healthy donor heart.
• Congenital Heart Defect Repair: Corrective surgeries for individuals born with structural heart abnormalities.
• Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closure: Surgical closure of a hole in the wall between the upper chambers of the heart.
• Aortic Aneurysm Repair: Surgical intervention to repair an enlarged or bulging section of the aorta.
• Arrhythmia Surgery: Procedures to correct irregular heartbeats, often involving the Maze procedure to create controlled scar tissue.
Open Heart Surgeries: Procedure and Risks
Open heart surgeries involve a major surgical procedure that is performed on the chest to repair damaged heart tissues or treat cardiovascular conditions, however, due to the complexity of the operation, there are risks associated with it, including bleeding, infection, and potential complications with anesthesia.
Open Heart Surgery Procedure
Open heart surgery is a complex procedure that involves making an incision in the chest to access and repair the heart, often requiring the use of a heart-lung machine to temporarily take over the heart's pumping function.
• Opening Up: A cut is made in the middle of the chest to reach the heart. Sometimes, smaller cuts are made, or a robot helps with the surgery.
• Heart-Lung Machine: The person is connected to a machine that takes over the job of the heart and lungs. This allows the surgeon to work on a still and bloodless heart.
• Fixing the Heart: Depending on the problem, the surgeon might use vessels to bypass blocked heart arteries, repair or replace damaged valves, fix bulging blood vessels, or address other heart issues.
• Closing Up: The chest is closed using stitches or wires.
• Recovery: The person is slowly disconnected from the machine. They are closely watched in the intensive care unit (ICU) to make sure they recover well.
• Postoperative Care: After the ICU, the person goes to a regular hospital room. If needed, they might have rehab to help them get better.
Risks of Open Heart Surgery
Open heart surgery carries various risks, including infection, bleeding, blood clots, heart attack, stroke, and even death.
Bleeding: Excessive bleeding during or after surgery may require additional intervention.
Infection: Risk of infection at the incision sites or within the chest.
Blood Clots: Formation of blood clots, which can lead to complications such as stroke or pulmonary embolism.
Heart Rhythm Disturbances: Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias) may occur.
Pneumonia: Respiratory infections, including pneumonia, due to changes in lung function after surgery.
Organ Dysfunction: Temporary dysfunction of other organs, such as the kidneys or lungs.
Stroke: Risk of stroke due to emboli or other factors during the surgery.
Allergic Reactions: Possible allergic reactions to medications or materials used during the procedure.
Long-Term Considerations: Potential for long-term complications, such as scarring, ongoing cardiac issues, or the need for additional surgeries.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Open Heart Surgery
The cost of open-heart surgery can vary based on the type of surgery, hospital charges, surgeon fees, anesthesia fees, and many more reasons.
Factors that can increase the cost of open-heart surgery:
• Type of Surgery: The specific type of open-heart surgery can impact the cost. Procedures such as coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), valve replacement, or heart transplant each have different costs.
• Hospital Charges: The choice of hospital can significantly affect the overall cost. Teaching hospitals or specialized heart centers may have higher charges than community hospitals.
• Surgeon's Fees: The experience and reputation of the cardiac surgeon performing the procedure can influence the cost. Highly skilled and known surgeons may charge higher fees.
• Anesthesia Fees: Anesthesia is a crucial part of open-heart surgery, and the fees for an anesthesiologist can contribute to the overall cost.
• Pre-surgical Testing: Various diagnostic tests and assessments may be required before surgery. These can include blood tests, imaging studies, and consultations with specialists.
• Length of Hospital Stay: The duration of the hospital stay can impact costs. Complications or extended recovery time may increase expenses.
• Postoperative Care: Follow-up care, medications, and rehabilitation services after surgery can contribute to the overall cost.
• Geographic Location: The cost of healthcare services can vary based on the geographic location. Urban areas or regions with higher living costs may have higher medical expenses.
• Complications: If complications arise during or after surgery, additional medical interventions and extended hospital stays may increase the overall cost.
• Miscellaneous Expenses: Other miscellaneous expenses, such as medical equipment, disposable supplies, and administrative fees, can contribute to the final cost.
Buy Medical Insurance for Open Heart Surgeries with Okbima
At Okbima, we prioritize the financial and medical needs of individuals with heart conditions. Our comprehensive medical insurance policies provide coverage for various open heart surgeries. Additionally, you can take expert advice before buying medical insurance.
Our heart insurance policies offer the following benefits
• Comprehensive sum insured options, ranging from 5 lakhs to 6 Crores.
• Cashless Hospitalization at a huge network
• Coverage for in-patient hospitalization expenses up to the chosen sum insured.
• Coverage for medical expenses 30 days before and 60 days after hospitalization.
• Coverage for daycare treatments up to the sum insured.
In conclusion, the cost of open heart surgery varies on the types, and hospital reputation.This surgical intervention has become the standard for treating a wide range of heart conditions, including coronary artery disease, valve abnormalities, and congenital heart defects. However, it is crucial to take expert advice to make an informed decision.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate by age 70?
The survival rate for open-heart surgery in patients aged 70 varies depending on several factors but generally falls within the 70-80% range one year after the procedure.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate by age 50?
The one-year survival rate for open-heart surgery in patients aged 50 is around 90-95%.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate by age 40?
The one-year survival rate at age 40 is even higher, reaching 95-98%.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate at age 70?
The one-year survival rate for 70-year-olds ranges from 70-80%, influenced by individual health and specific procedures.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate by age 65?
The one-year survival rate for patients aged 65 falls between 80-85%, closer to the younger bracket due to their generally good health compared to those beyond 70.
What is the open heart surgery survival rate at age 75?
At 75, the one-year survival rate dips slightly to 65-75%, primarily due to increased pre-existing conditions and a higher risk of complications.
Is open heart surgery very serious?
Yes, open heart surgery is considered a highly serious and complex surgical procedure.
What is the age limit for open heart surgery?
There is no set age limit for open heart surgery, as each case is evaluated individually based on the patient's overall health and ability to withstand the procedure.
Can a person live 20 years after bypass surgery?
Yes, it is possible for a person to live 20 years after bypass surgery.
What is the most expensive heart surgery?
On the other hand, the total artificial heart surgery is the priciest among all cardiac surgeries, with a price range of approximately Rs 45 lakh to Rs 80 lakh.
What is the most expensive surgery in India?
Here are the top 3 costliest medical procedures in India Intestine Transplant which costs Rs 30,00,000, Heart Transplant which costs Rs 25,00,000 to Rs 30,00,000, and Lung Transplant which costs Rs 25,00,000.
Which is the No 1 surgery hospital in India?
The top 10 General Surgery Hospitals in India are Artemis Hospital, Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, SevenHills Hospital, BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Sanar International Hospital, and Medanta The Medicity.
What is the cost of open heart surgery in Delhi?
The cost of open heart surgery in Delhi is 1,99,500 to Rs. 2,46,750?.
How much risky is open heart surgery?
Potential risks associated with open-heart surgery include chest wound infection, which is more prevalent among patients with obesity or diabetes, or those who have previously undergone coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). Furthermore, there is a risk of experiencing a heart attack, stroke, or irregular heartbeat.
How many hours is open heart surgery?
The open heart surgery will take three to five hours.
How much Open heart surgery cost in Hyderabad?
The cost for bypass surgery in Hyderabad can vary between Rs.2.4 lakhs to Rs.4 lakhs.
Who needs open heart surgery?
Open-heart surgery is employed as a treatment for various heart conditions such as heart failure, heart valve disease, arrhythmias, aneurysms, and coronary artery disease.
How much Open heart surgery cost in private hospital?
The CABG heart surgery in Noida has an average cost ranging from ?4,00,000 to ?6,00,000.
How much is the Open heart surgery cost in government hospital?
Government hospitals offer an extremely affordable choice with costs ranging from Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1,00,000.
How much Open heart surgery cost in Apollo?
The cost of open heart surgery in apollo between Rs. 2,16,000 to 1,50,000.